These cookies caught my eye when I was browsing the Cooking Light website. Jon loves lemon cookies, bars, cake, etc. He was thrilled when he left for school this morning that I was making these today. These turned out really good. They have a unique texture due to the cornmeal in them. The lemon flavor is slight, but pairs well with the ginger. A nice after dinner treat!
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix – I used Carol’s Sorghum Mix (about 4 1/2 ounces, which was less than a cup)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind (one lemon made a little less than 1 TBSP)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (through ground ginger); stir with a whisk. Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Scrape sides of the bowl occasionally. Add egg; beat well. Beat in grated lemon rind. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, and beat at medium-low speed just until blended.
3. Spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons batter 2 inches apart onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes (I checked mine at 10 and they were done) or until lightly browned and almost firm. Remove from oven. Cool on pans for 2 minutes or until firm. Remove from pans. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Calories: 55 /per cookie (based on 36 cookies)
If you want to help support & raise money for Celiac, make sure to use #healthytummy in any tweets you do through 12/16. There is more info here.