I have lots of tidbits of info circling around in my head about Celiac Disease. They aren’t enough to put in a post of their own, so I will lump them all into this post.
1. Betty Crocker Gluten-free Mixes have been spotted at Meijer in Columbus, Ohio. They are in the baking section, but not on the same shelf as the mainstream baking mixes. They are on the opposite side of the aisle with other health related baking mixes from Bob’s Red Mill, Arrowhead Mills, etc. They are priced at $3.99, which seems to be just about normal.
2. While waiting for Jon to get his hair cut yesterday, I was browsing through Women’s Health Magazine and happened upon an article talking about tummy trouble. The first potential cause or thing to rule out was Celiac Disease! I am so happy that Celiac Disease is getting more press. The more it is out there, the more people can get diagnosed & get to feeling better!
3. As I have posted in the past, I am training for a half marathon that takes place in less than 10 weeks! ACK!! Now that my long runs are 8+ miles, I really need to fuel during my runs, not just before & after. I posted about Sharkies & Sport Beans before, but have been looking for something simpler. Gu Gels have been recommended to me by many people. I went to Fleet Feet yesterday and browsed their gels selections. I ended up buying 6 Gu Gels. The Roctane Gels are labeled “gluten-free” and “dairy-free”, which I loved. The others were not labeled, but I was assured via email (and a super fast response) that all the Gu Gels are gluten-free and they are in the process of changing all of their packaging to say that. I will review these after my long run this week & let you all know how I liked them.
4. Top Chef Masters goes Vegan & Gluten-free!! Did anyone see? I love Zooey Deschanel and especially loved her in Elf, one of my all-time favorite movies. All of the food that the Top Chef Masters prepared looked amazing, but Michael Chiarello’s quinoa pasta dish had my mouth watering!! He ended up winning! Here is his interview. I can’t wait to make this meal!!!
5. Champagne Grapes. Have you tried or seen them? They are the tiniest little grapes I have ever seen!! So cute!! They are so sweet & have a wonderful flavor. They are smaller than peas! Best feature about champagne grapes? Naturally gluten-free!!
7. Quick mention of a tweet that I saw come across Twitter this AM: Rice Chex is on sale at CVS for 2 for $5.00. This tweet came from @GlutenGossip. Thanks for spreading the word! No mention of when the sale ends or if all CVS stores are participating, but worth a shot if you are close by.
8. Watch for my Back-to School post coming later this week. This post will include letters to the school & teachers, information on packing lunches & ideas on what to pack.
Hope you all have a great Tuesday!! Don’t forget to check out my contest to enter for a chance to win some awesome Nature’s Path products! It is running until Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at midnight.